My name is Cambria York. I use they/them/theirs and/or zie/hir/hirs pronouns. I’m a vocalist, instrumentalist, musicologist, Communist, organizer, writer, and educator. I organize with, work with, or otherwise act in coalition with the following organizations: Workers World Party (WWP), Party for Socialism and Liberation (PSL), Industrial Workers of the World (IWW), the General Defense Committee of the IWW (GDC), Incarcerated Workers Organizing Committee (IWOC), and Food Not Bombs (FNB), among others. I am also a Heathen, a witch, and a Thelemite. My religious and spiritual context sometimes falls in contradictions with my political and philosophical pursuits, but I have found a unique synthesis of them. I was born in Pensacola, FL, USA, and grew up cutting my teeth around the Florida panhandle and southern Alabama. I am affiliated with the Mvskoke nation in Florida, Alabama, and Oklahoma. I now live in Indianapolis, IN, USA, with my partner and dog, and determined to live a more accurate, fulfilling version of my truth every day, and to let my work speak for itself.
The purpose of this blog is a number of years in the making, and I’ve been sitting on it a while. Honestly, there’s a lot that’s going on here, and I work better with lists anyway. So that’s what y’all’re getting:
- To publish my experiences as an openly transgender vocalist in performance spaces.
- To catalogue my experiences as an organiser who is able to reach across political tendencies.
- To present my writings on philosophy, religion, politics, musicology, poetry, fiction, current events, and other relevant topics.
- To act as a synthesis between my private and public writings in one concentrated archive.
- To collect and link works I feel are relevant to my interests and that of my readership.
So, yeah, that’s the long and short of it. Hope y’all enjoy your stay.